A teenage boy was punched in the face numerous time during an assault by a group of masked men.

According to reports, at around around 7.30pm on Monday, a large group of men were seen jumping out of a Renault Megane close to Mercer Park in Clayton-le-Moors, before attacking the teenager.

Police were called to the incident and chased the Megane along Whalley Road in the direction of Accrington Stanley Football Club.

According to one witness, the Megane almost crashed into his vehicle close to Victoria Street.

The owner of the vehicle, who did not wish to be named, said around seven men, who were all wearing masks, then jumped out of the Megane and ran from the police. 

Officers said the remaining occupants of the vehicle then abandoned the car on Whinney Hill Road and continued to run from the police before officers could apprehend them.

The witness said: "We missed the actual attack but the first we knew about it was when the car full of men nearly crashed into us near Total Pipe Systems on Victoria Street.

"A police car pulled onto the street and they all jumped out of the vehicle using the doors and boot, and then legged-it.

"Two stayed in the car, and one of them tried closing the boot from the inside while the driver sped off.

"So we pursued them while on the phone to the police.

"The police then took over the pursuit near Champ Funeral Services and there was only a driver and passenger in the car at that point.

"The other seven had already ran away towards Arthur Street.

"They were all in blacked out clothes, masks and hoods, and one or two had weapons as well.

"It was very organised and very scary that this sort of thing is happening in the area.

"I don't know who they attacked or whether they are ok."



A spokesperson for the police said: "We were called at 7.35pm to reports of public order in Clayton-le-Moors.

"Officers went to Mercer Park area and were informed a teenage boy had been assaulted.

"It appears he was punched a number of times to the face and suffered an injury to his lip.

"A Renault Megane spotted near the park was followed by officers but all the people inside ran off when it got to Whinney Hill Road."

So far no arrests have been made and enquiries remain ongoing.

Anyone with information is asked to call the police on 101, quoting log 1401 of September 14.