A ‘LOVING’ son who was found unconscious at a flat had died as a result of accidentally taking too much pain relief medication, an inquest heard.

Gary Aspinall was found by his mother in the flat above the Clock Garage in Maple Street, Blackburn, and was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics on August 13.

The inquest heard Mr Aspinall, 43, had suffered with depression and alcoholism.

Professor Tim Dawson, a consultant at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, who carried out a post-mortem examination, said Mr Aspinall had fatal levels of morphine in his blood, as well as codeine and high levels of alcohol.

He said: “These drugs depress the respiratory system.

“An official cause of death is cardio-respiratory depression combined with opioid and alcohol toxicity.”

Mr Aspinall’s father, Billy, said his son was in good spirits in the time before his death and there was no reason to suggest he tried to take his own life.

He said: “He was trying to look after himself. He was well dressed and kept up his appearance.

“He was in good spirits when I was with him. Gary had lots of friends and he loved going on holiday. He loved life.”

The inquest heard a bottle of morphine was found in Mr Aspinall's flat and it was thought he was taking it for back pain.

Coroner James Newman’s recorded a conclusion of misadventure and that Mr Aspinall, of Carlinghurst Road, Blackburn, had died after drinking alcohol and taking unprescribed pain medicine.

Mr Newman: “His death relates to morphine substance he took to control his pain.

“Gary had built up a tolerance and due to a period in hospital, he lost his tolerance and the amount he had taken previously proved to be fatal on this occasion. I offer my sincere condolences.”