A car fire that started in a spray booth has left a garage partially destroyed.

The incident happened at around 7pm on Tuesday when fire crews were called to A.M.A Motors off Pearson Street, Blackburn.

On arrival they found one vehicle on fire in a spray booth within the garage.

A fire service spokesperson said: "A member of staff had been doing some spot welding on a vehicle and it had accidentally set on fire.

"We were called to attend but by the time we arrived the fire had spread to the rest of the spray booth, causing internal damage to the garage.

"The car was destroyed but luckily the man had not been hurt, and two firefighters in breathing apparatus were able to extinguish the fire using two hose reel jets.

"Crews were in attendance for just over an hour to ensure the building was structurally safe."