A WOMAN has been arrested on suspicion of child neglect after a police raid.

Officers swooped on a house in Shadsworth, Blackburn.

Police said a 34-year-old woman from Blackburn has been arrested on suspicion of child neglect and has been bailed.

A resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said police cars and a police van attended the scene at Wednesday lunchtime last week.

Photos obtained by the Lancashire Telegraph show a large pile of rubbish in the garden of the house.

The resident also said RSPCA officials were called to the house where the resident alleges they removed a number of animals.

The resident said: “Police and the RSPCA attended the house around lunchtime on Wednesday morning.

“There were several police cars and a van and RSPCA officials.

“They brought out a number of animals.”

The resident added: “I saw lots of takeaway rubbish in the house.

“It was also fly infested with dog and cat mess and the window sills and floors were filthy.

“You literally couldn’t walk on the floor.

“Social services have been contacted but they’ve said there is no case to answer for.

“It’s an absolute disgrace and I’ve not seen anything like it.”

A police spokeswoman said: “A 34-year-old woman from Blackburn has been arrested on suspicion of child neglect. She has been bailed.”

The RSPCA said they were aware of the matter.

A spokesman said: “We are aware of this. Unfortunately we are unable to discuss complaints about specific people and what action may have been taken. We understand how frustrating that is for animals lovers but releasing information could prejudice a future prosecution or could lead to us being fined.

“We are so grateful to people who report suspected animal suffering to us and we would like to reassure people we will always look into and, if necessary, investigate any complaints made to us about animal welfare.

“A lot of the time issues will be dealt with by advice and education and it is not always appropriate to publicise this information for legal reasons.”

Blackburn with Darwen Council declined to comment.