A MAN in his 50s has died in a house fire.

Police and firefighters were called to a flat in Ivegate Mews in Colne at around 7.50am on Tuesday.

A man’s body was found inside the flat.

The window at the front of the flat has been boarded up by officers which is where the fire is believed to have started. 

Shocked residents said the man had recently moved into the flat and he lived alone and didn’t socialise with other people in the building.

Cllr Dorothy Elizabeth Lord, who lives in Colne, described the death of the man was ‘tragic’.

She said: “It’s tragic no matter what the circumstances and tragic for the man’s family.”

Cllr Jonathan Nixon, who represents the area, said he was ‘shocked’ by the news.

He said: “I can’t believe that something like this could happen. It’s a very rare occurrence in Colne.

“Dying in your 50s is no age in the modern era.

“I know Ivegate Mews quite well. It’s a nice area and my wife used to live in one of the apartments.

“I hope the police get to the bottom of this and find out what has happened.

“I pass on my condolences to the family of the man.”

The incident is under investigation. There are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances.