Got a Lancaster or Morecambe story? Contact us.
Benefit reforms 'going smoothly'
Lin Homer said twice as many families had already opted out of receiving the payment than had been expected to
Child benefit reforms that cut the money higher earners are entitled to are going "better than expected", the head of HM Revenue and Customs insists.
Lin Homer said twice as many families had already opted out of receiving the payment than had been expected to, ahead of the changes due to come in on Monday.
It comes as another think tank issued a stark warning about the impact the much-criticised overhaul could have on family life.
The Centre for Social Justice claimed the cut risked "pouring further fuel on the fire" of family breakdown.
Its comments follow a report by the Institute for Fiscal Studies that said families would end up losing as much as 65p of every extra pound they earned - making it more likely they would work less or put more into pension funds to avoid the hit.
Households where one parent earns more than £60,000 a year will have to return the entire amount through the self-assessment system unless they have opted out of receiving it in the first place.
It will be taken away on a sliding scale where mothers or fathers earn between £50,000 and £60,000 - causing a significant rise in marginal tax rates for those families, according to the IFS.
The system for recovering the money has proved highly controversial, especially as families where both parents earn just under £50,000 each will keep their payments.
Ms Homer told Radio 4's Today programme the changes were going "smoothly" and administration costs were lower than expected.
The HMRC chief executive said: "I think we have been very proactive. We have written to 800,000 people. 1.2 million is the estimate and of course things like people's income changes during the year so we have written to everyone we know is affected by the change."