THE battle between first and third went the way of league leaders Arnside as they put Westgate to the sword with 20 overs to spare in the second innings.

Even the inclement weather couldn’t stop Arnside as they restricted Westgate to 110-9 from the first innings, with young David Birch 4-26 off his 10 overs, although all the bowlers did their part to keep Westgate’s score down.

In reply Adam Richardson was once again hugely impressive for the home side as he struck 49 to continue his great sequence of run-scoring.

He wasn’t given the best of support though as Arnside lost six wickets during the reply, but Mike Shepherd and Richard Hodgson brought their side home with 13 not out and an unbeaten eight to secure victory in the 25th over.

Second-placed Shireshead thumped Trimpell with a 10-wicket success on a blustery and grey day at Clifton Park.

Shireshead had no hesitation in asking Trimpell to bat first upon winning the toss.

Hopes were high for early wickets but nothing could have prepared them for the carnage to follow.

From the moment Peter Wilson (5-14) removed Pemberton, wickets fell at regular intervals for the following 15 overs.

None of the Trimpell batsmen made double figures in the face of hostile pace bowling from Dave Jack (5-9) and unerring accuracy from Wilson.

Shireshead even dropped three catches as they skittled Trimpell out for just 23.

The Shireshead reply was a formality as Tom Jacques and Nick Rafferty achieved the runs required in the sixth over to complete a handsome 10 wicket win.

An unbeaten 60 from captain Lee Illingworth helped Milnthorpe move up to third in the table thanks to an eight-wicket success over Bolton-le-Sands.

All four bowlers chipped in with wickets for Milnthorpe as Bolton-le-Sands were bowled out for 111 after 37 overs, with Bob Baldwin recording eight maidens on his way to figures of 3-26.

Clarkson’s 32 and Graeme Beaumont’s 35 were the only resistance provided as the other eight batsmen failed to get out of single figures.

But at number three Illingworth was in rude form for Milnthorpe, striking eight fours and one six, with Pod Pennington also unbeaten on 29 to get his side over the line in the 30th over.

Burneside were the only other side to finish their match after beating basement club Bare by five wickets.

Bare scored 104-8 from the first innings, but a six ended the Burneside reply with a fluorish as the Westmorlanders ended 110-5.

Silverdale looked well-placed at 102-1 in reply to Windermere’s 231-8 when the rain came down and ended hopes of a victory.

Windermere’s Oliver Kiliner racked up 61 runs as Windermere posted a good total.

But with Jarred Collis once again impressing on 46 not out, and Lindsay Thompson on exactly the same scoreline, Silverdale felt they could knock that total off with 20 overs left of the game.

But the rain came down and ruined chances of a finish to the match.

It was the same story at Heysham, who had a very short boundary on one side due to heavy rainfall in the area for their match against Warton.

Heysham were 229-6 from the first innings, with Powers on 58, Whincup scoring 69, and Graeme Cassidy unbeaten on 67.

But thanks to 80 from Dixon, Warton only needed 48 runs from the final 33 balls to win the game, with the side also having six wickets spare and the short boundary to play with.

But as with the Windermere versus Silverdale game, the rain came down to frustrate the sides, meaning the points were shared.